Translate

Friday, January 9, 2015

Vitamix- A Kitchen Wonder

During the holidays while making smoothies for my grandchildren, my blender finally stopped working!  Those frozen strawberries and peaches just wore it out.   So much to my delight, I woke up one morning in early January and found a late delivery from Santa on the kitchen island- a Vitamix!  

I am in love with this machine.  I am amazed at it's power and speed.  So I have been busy making smoothies- my favorite treat in the morning.  It is easy to keep frozen fruits in the freezer,  Greek yogurt and juice in the refrigeration.   The combinations are endless and so are the additives, from protein powder to wheat germ.



 
One of my favorite combinations-
greek yogurt, honey, mango and peach juice, frozen peaches and a few ice cubes. 
 
 
 
Another delicious treat prepared in the Vitamix is Cream of Asparagus soup. I found the recipe in the cookbook that comes with the machine. It was restaurant quality, if I do say so myself.  I simply roasted the asparagus in a little olive oil, salt and pepper in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.  Cut the spears into 3 sections and added them with hot chicken stock and a little cream to the vitamix container.  Then you simply hit the "soup" button on the machine and let it do it's thing!   It was amazing. 
 
 

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) asparagus spears, cooked (reserve one cup pieces for garnish)
  • 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half
  • Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Vitamix has a wonderful website with videos, recipes and general information about the machine.
 
 
But now I must share with you the most amazing treat that I have made in this life changing, delightful machine.
Enough with those healthy smoothies!  Opening my  email from  Epicurious, I  found this recipe and knew I had to try it!
 
 
 
The Easiest Chocolate Mousse Ever

Ingredients

       
  • 6 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate (such as Valrhona), chopped, plus extra for shavings (optional)
  • 1 cup milk (any fat content)
  • 2 tablespoons brewed espresso
  • 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
  • 2 eggs (the freshest possible)

Preparation

1. Place the chocolate in a blender.
2. Heat the milk, espresso, and butter in a small pot until the milk is scalded, about 3 minutes.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the blender and blend until the chocolate is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
4. Add the eggs and blend until no lumps remain.
5. Pour into cups and chill until set, about 1 1/2 hours. Garnish with the chocolate shavings, if desired, and serve.


http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/The-Easiest-Chocolate-Mousse-Ever-241657

Note:  I used instant espresso powder to make my brewed espresso and 2% milk.
I also used a mixture of semisweet and dark chocolate and added the extra sweetness with whipped cream on top. 


The was the easiest dessert ever and absolutely divine!   It made 6 servings, perfect for my husband and I for 3 days.  and seemed to get better everyday.  I would describe the texture as more like a chocolate pot de crème rather than a mousse.
 
 





 
 
This is now a go-to recipe for me.   It was soooooo good and sooooo fast.


 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just purchased a Vitamix and am so excited! I am most certainly going to make the recipes in your post!

Thank you!

- Talia

Saviour Pirotta said...

Even the name Vitamix is alluring. I went to a spa in Scarborough, England, recently and discovered it was originally called the Vitadome. Vita must have been a buzzword in the early 20th century.

Christy said...

I'm trying all your recipes!

Laurell Banner said...

Ok I am coming over for a smoothy. I might have to get a Vitamix.

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

You are amazing, Susan,
Your photos are spectacular.
When you style and prop your foods --- you make EVERYTHING look like a King's serving!

(You could be mixing dirt and dead bugs and your presentation would have mewishing for some too!!

Will have to try these in my little Bullet!

Thanks for sharing~
xox
A